Saturday, February 18, 2017

2 James Evertsen BFA: Cycle. EleKat. Broken Circle. Etching.

This project was a new challenge for me. I really enjoyed the whole process, from carving linoleum, to mixing the ink, and then to finding the accurate amount of ink on my stamp to produce an ideal print. I am attracted to Celtic knots and their symbolism. For this design I wanted to show the connection of life and death in a complete cycle. 


For this etching assignment I was asked to create a hybrid design. I asked my kids what animals that they liked best, which lead me to a meerkat, elephant combination. Seeing them morphed together made me think of a toxic or chemical reaction that might lead to this strange hybrid, which gave me the idea to place these creatures in a apocalyptic environment. When I was done with my image, I started to experiment with the ink application. I spent a lot of time wiping and detailing thick and thin layers of ink so once I was ready to print, each object had some great range of values. Then I experimented with colors that helped to give a result I was hoping for.


With this etching project, I wanted to go a bit bigger in size of a copper plate and illustration. 
I did some research and found that there are many more animals that are on the verge of extinction than I thought. 
I found a collection of images of mothers with their young in these declining species. 
I then arranged each in a circle that I could leave unconnected and unfinished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment